Manchester Arena blast: 19 dead and over 50 injured

52
Manchester Arena blast

At least Nineteen people have been killed after a blast tore through a pop concert at Manchester Arena in a suspected terror attack, police have confirmed.

Greater Manchester Police said that around 50 other people were injured in the explosion at the Ariana Grande concert.

The force said in a statement: “This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise.”

The police update said: “Just before 10.35pm on Monday 22 May 2017, police were called to reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena.

“So far 19 people have been confirmed dead, with around 50 others injured. This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise.”

Witnesses reported hearing a “huge bang” at the venue shortly after US singer’s gig finished on Monday evening.

The area around the arena was swamped with police and emergency services and approach roads were closed.

One fan at the concert with his sister described how the explosion happened as fans were leaving the arena.

Manchester Arena said the explosion happened “outside the venue in a public space”.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims,” it said.

SHARE