Punjabi woman stabbed to death by husband in Sydney

harjit kaur jagdish singh

GLENWOOD, SYDNEY – A Punjabi woman was stabbed to death at her home in Sydney by her husband Jagdish Singh.

One of the couple’s two sons arrived home just after 4pm to find his mother, Harjit Kaur, lifeless on the floor.

After dropping in to the Kings Park Tavern, the watering hole Jagdish visited almost daily to place a bet, he went into a nearby supermarket in Sydney’s north-western suburbs.

It was here, police allege, Mr Singh, 57, bought the knife allegedly used to stab his wife in the neck in their house in Glenwood, north-west Sydney, on Tuesday afternoon.

While there was no current apprehended violence order in place between the husband and wife, friends and neighbours have shed light on the relationship’s tumultuous history.

Mrs Kaur, 56, has become the second woman allegedly to have been murdered by their partners in Sydney this week.

Mr Singh was arrested not far from the house in Glenwood Park Drive on Tuesday evening.

He was found sitting in his car at Kings Langley Shopping Centre and charged with murder hours later.

Fairfax Media understands police will allege he bought the weapon at Coles earlier in the day. It is understood he had been on a few days’ leave from his job as a factory hand at a plastics company in Kings Park.

A former workmate and friend visited the house on Wednesday afternoon, hoping to check on the welfare of Mr Singh’s two adult sons following the tragedy.

The man, identified only as Raj, said he worked with Mr Singh for five years but never saw him and his wife together.

Mr Singh claimed his father was a highly ranked officer in the army in Singapore, where he lived before moving to Australia.

Raj said that, every day after work, Mr Singh would go to the Kings Park Tavern TAB.

Harjit Kaur was found dead inside her Glenwood home on Tuesday.
Harjit Kaur was found dead inside her Glenwood home on Tuesday. Photo: Facebook

“I think he had a problem with alcohol as well,” he said.

“The guy himself was dominating … but not aggressive.”

Mrs Kaur, who was employed at an aged-care facility in Seven Hills, spent her time outside work volunteering at the Parklea Sikh Temple.

She was seen at the temple almost weekly, sometimes with her sons, to pray and help with service in the kitchen and cleaning.

“The day before she died, she came here in the evening time and did some sewa,” Gurdwara manager Jasbir Singh said.

“She was a good lady.”

Neighbours surrounding Mrs Kaur’s home say she had recently been living in the garage and separately from her husband.

A few times I saw [Mrs Kaur] was living in the garage, I saw a single bed and a suitcase in there,” Monir Bahadori, who lives across the road from the family, said.

Mrs Kaur had also expressed concern about her husband’s gambling interests.

My husband was smoking outside and she told my husband that she had problems with her husband because of his gambling,” Mrs Bahdori explained.

Mr Singh did not come up from the cells when his case was mentioned in Blacktown Local Court on Wednesday morning. The case was adjourned to May 5.