Australia is smashed by 2 Tropical Cyclones this morning in both the Northern Territory and Queensland.
Cyclone Marcia has made landfall on the Queensland coast, has crossed the coast near Shoalwater Bay and is moving south. Very destructive winds expected in Yeppoon and massive swell are expected to cause major damage.
WHAT WE KNOW:
* Category 5 Cyclone Marcia is beginning to impact the Capricorn Coast hitting Shoalwater Bay around 8am. It’s expected to bring wind gusts of up to 285km/h.
* Residents of the Yeppoon and Rockhampton areas, off the Queensland coast have been warned not to go outside.
* Two fishermen who went missing overnight in a boat off Fraser Island have been found.
* Cyclone Lam has made landfall as a category 4 system and has been downgraded to a category 3.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
– Residents are to stay indoors, take care of themselves and take shelter in the safest parts of their homes.
– “Please do not leave your homes this morning. Do not go outside under any circumstances,” she said in a media statement this morning.
– “Please listen to your radio. This is a severe tropical cyclone and we want people to be safe.”
– People in low-lying areas are to be evacuated.
– Schools and childcare centres are also closed.
For up to date BOM reports visit their page here www.bom.gov.au